Friday, September 16, 2016

Communication

I have never given it any thought before, but I realize that I communicate differently with people from different groups and cultures. As I seek to be understood I utilize different methods of communication based on the group that I am speaking with. People from different cultures view the world differently. This can result in conflicts and misunderstandings as they interact across cultures (O’Hair & Weimann, 2015).
As an educator in the classroom, I am careful to speak correctly as I model proper grammar for my children. I also choose my words carefully, giving definitions and examples of usage when I think it may be necessary. When I speak to the parents of my students, I am careful to be positive and optimistic. Again, I make sure to speak properly as a professional. I recently attended a convention for teachers of mathematics. As I interacted with other professionals at the convention I was unsure about their varied cultures. As a result, I asked and answered questions but kept other unnecessary conversation to a minimum.  When I am at home, I feel free to speak the colloquial jargon of my country with no effort to correct my grammar. I know I will be accepted regardless at home so I basically let my hair down.
One strategy that is used for communication between diverse cultures is the use of uncertainty avoidance which involves adjusting your behavior to avoid or reduce conflict and risk (O’Hair & Weimann, 2015). Another overlooked strategy is listening.  Finally, behavioral flexibility, which describes the willingness to use different forms of communication in different situations is a strategy that the successful communicator will be sure to employ (O’Hair & Weimann, 2015). As the setting or participants change, then the type of communication will also change.  


Reference
O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J.  (2015). Real communication (3rd. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.


4 comments:

  1. Hello, Dellarece! The ability to behave in a flexible manner and adjust actions to adapt to changes is an essential survival skill that taps multiple cognitive operations, requiring inhibition of outmoded responding, searching for novel effective strategies and then maintaining these new strategies. It is well established that the frontal lobes play a fundamental role in enabling these different forms of behavioral flexibility (Floresco, 2011). In earlier courses, I remember discussing that the left frontal lobe deals with language abilities while the right frontal lobe is generally more concerned with non-verbal aspects of communication. The right lobe picks up auditory signs like the tone of voice when someone is angry, sad, or scared. The right frontal lobe is more involved with negative emotions, while the left frontal lobe is more involved in positive emotions (Brain Injury Institute.com, 2011).

    References

    Brain Injury Institute.org. (2011). Frontal lobe damage. Retrieved from http://www.braininjuryinstitute.org/Brain-Injury-Types/Frontal-Lobe-Damage.html

    Floresco, S. (2011). SCIENCE BRIEF: Neural circuits underlying behavioral flexibility. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2011/04/neural-circuits.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to be more relaxed when I am at home around my family too. I've realized that I am more reserved and formal, when I am at church or a place of business. As a ECE I know the importance of effective communication and like you am positive and optimistic. I agree with the statement you made in saying: As the setting or participants change, then the type of communication will also change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dellarece, I feel that I speak more freely at home as well. However, I do find that families I am very comfortable with I will use more jargon as long as I am still remaining professional.

    ReplyDelete