Sunday, August 7, 2016

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

It is more than 150 years since the abolition of slavery yet racism and prejudice are still rampant and sometimes it seems to be increasing. The most overt demonstration of racism that I have witnessed was targeted towards some of my family members. My sister and I were vacationing in South Florida some years ago when our children were still very young. We were at a lovely resort and my sister was taking the children to play in one of the kiddie pools while I relaxed on a lounge chair nearby. As they approached the pool, we all noticed a white woman with two children already in the pool. My sister took the baby with her into the water and our other two children followed close behind her. As they entered one side of the pool, the lady called her children over and motioned for them to quickly come out of the pool. I was shocked to hear her tell those children to come out of the pool before it gets dirty. They left the pool area completely and went inside. I have never been so humiliated in my life. My sister and I still laugh about the incident to this day. The only bright side to that story was that our children were too young to understand what was happening.
In the scenario mentioned the women wanted obviously felt as though she and her children were better than we were. We know differently, but it does leave a stain if repeated over and over in an individual’s life. I may be able to laugh now at the ignorance demonstrated by the lady, but at the time I was very angry. This was more so because the children were with my sister and me, and I did not want them tainted with the stains and stench that racism brings. For the incident to be converted into an opportunity for greater equity the mindset of the woman would have to change. She was demonstrating a belief that she was superior to us and I know that all are created equal in the sight of God. The scenario could have been quite different if she had allowed the children, in their innocence to interact with each other as children do. It is only when we as adult interfere, influencing the children with our biases and hidden agendas that we perpetuate racism to the next generation.




6 comments:

  1. I am wondering what year this scenario took place. That is a shame that she told her daughters that they had to go because the water will get dirty! More room for your children. They had the pool to themselves. Her children missing out on the privilege to swim in the pool. Depending on the age of the children they are going to remember what her mother said. Hopefully the cycle will not continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the children were toddlers and all under 5 at the time so I do not think they heard and understood what was going on.

      Delete
  2. I am wondering what year this scenario took place. That is a shame that she told her daughters that they had to go because the water will get dirty! More room for your children. They had the pool to themselves. Her children missing out on the privilege to swim in the pool. Depending on the age of the children they are going to remember what her mother said. Hopefully the cycle will not continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenya I was thinking the same thing more room for your kids. Lol. Seriously it is sad to know that many people still think and behave in that manner. Yet it is not hard to believe that they continue to behave this way, in the United States we are not that far removed from the civil rights movement nor slavery. With each generation I think education and acceptance prevails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. It is sad and funny at the same time. I laugh at ignorance. But it is sad what this lady is teaching her children whether intentionally or unintentionally. Children are innocent and don't see color. Racism is defiantly taught. Something I will never understand. So many want to be like us but not be around us. Our culture is admired whether they admit it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dellarece,

    It's sad that people still think that way. Children don't see color at all, and they will play with anyone. Racism is definitely taught. It amazes me how some people complain about certain cultures, but they imitate that same culture. I hope that people will see as time goes on that racism has no place in this world. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete