Friday, July 22, 2016

Words: Harmless, or Hurtful?

As children, we would chant a little diddle, “Sticks and stones can burst my bones, but words cannot harm me”. I now know that this saying is just a myth. Sometimes words are more hurtful than physical abuse with long-term effects. I can recall one rather humiliating experience of microaggression that I had with a colleague a few years ago. I taught his son and we were discussing some missing work. My colleague implied that I had forgotten the assignments that his son ‘must’ have turned in. He said he forgave me as it was probably that “time” of the month. He was obviously implying that as a woman I must suffer from PMS and had forgotten the assignment during the stressful time. I do not work with this man anymore, but whenever I come in contact with him, I cannot help but think of the conversation, and the way he made me feel. This was a case of gender microaggression, where I being a woman was attacked.
As a result of this week’s readings and my observations, I realize that we live in a world where attacking others based on their gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and abilities is rampant. I used to think that I did not have a problem with prejudice and biases, as I lived in a country where I am a part of the majority. I realize now that this is not the case. Sadly, I also realize that there have been times when I have been the aggressor in the situation. I vow to be more cognizant of the words I use, and the way I use them. Even when the microaggression is an unconscious occurrence, the pain is just as real and just as damaging. Whether it comes in the form of a microassault, microinsult or microinvalidation which is described as the most insidious of the three, (Laureate, 2011) they are all very detrimental. So to avoid microaggressions of any form we should seek to be accurately informed about others instead of basing our beliefs on the stereotypes. As we establish intimate contact with persons who are different from us and work together to make our communities more accepting place we inevitably pave the way for a microaggression free tomorrow. 
Reference

Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

3 comments:

  1. Dellarece,
    Wow that is shocking who knew that PMS symptoms caused short term memory loss. Lol that is a new one for me, I think if people think back on some of the things they say they will realize how ignorant they sounded. I do think that since most microaggressions are done unconsciously people will not know how they affected people unless they are told. We can't grow from our mistakes if we do not recognize them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dellarece,

    I also laughed at the thought of PMS causing memory loss. I have found that men say a lot of things that affect women. The reality of it is that don't see anything wrong with it because they haven't personally experienced these things as a women. They don't realize the emotional side of things, and they say these comments without even thinking about them. I think we have to pull people to the side and let them know if we are offended. This will help society become more aware of microaggressions, and people will think first before they speak. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend also thinks that when I am on my period I am stressed and frustrated. I have noticed that I am overly emotional around this time too. It is really strange around an October full moon my emotions go into over drive and I have to put toward effort to control my negative emotions.

    ReplyDelete