Friday, August 12, 2016

Welcoming Families From Around the World

I am the teacher of 4-year-olds in a preschool. I have just been informed that I will be adding a little girl to my classroom. Her family has recently emigrated from Curacao. As I prepare to be culturally responsive towards this family here are some of the things that I would need to do:

 I do not know anything about this country so right away I have to do some research as I prepare for the little girl.  Curacao is a small country in South America.  Knowing where the family is coming from is important in understanding the culture they would belong to.

As I seek to make the child feel welcome in my classroom, I would find out the colors of her country, and pictures of significant places that she may be familiar with. I would make a display of the national symbols of her country.

I would have to find out the language spoken in the country.  If I cannot speak this language then I would have to find someone on my staff, or a resource person if possible who speaks the language. If possible, I would have this person available for when the child and her family comes to school, to welcome them in their own language. I would also endeavor to learn some basic words in the language in order to communicate with the little girl.

I would also try to find out how they greet each other in this culture. For example, do they shake hands or kiss cheeks, do they make eye contact or bow their heads, or do they speak firmly or with a whisper? This is important as I would not want to offend, or to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
I would also try to learn about religious customs and practices that they may ascribe to. I would want to know if there are any holy days that they adhere to or customs that are celebrated in my country that they would not be comfortable taking part in.

Finally, I would need to learn which of the parents or family members I should communicate with if possible, in relation to the little girl.  In some cultures, the mother would be responsible for everything concerning the children, while in others the fathers speak to persons outside the family. It would be important to know which parent I should be addressing. 


As I seek to prepare myself and my classroom, it is in an effort to be welcoming to the new family. I hope to help them realize that they would be accepted just as they are. I would not want to do anything that the family would find offensive as they join our school family. I hope the displays from their country of origin would help them to feel a little bit at home although they may be far away. They should be able to see that their country will be one of many different countries and cultures represented and respected in my class. Also, I believe that my attempts to use their language will help them to see that they are welcomed.  

3 comments:

  1. Using your students to make the child feel welcomed would be great as well! Children love being helpers and possibly pairing the child with a buddy may make her feel comfortable as well as begin to start a friendship. I agree that using their language will be a great idea, just make sure you're pronouncing the words correctly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dellarece,

    I love the ideas that you presented to prepare for your student. I feel like your classroom should be just like your home when you have guest. It should be warm and inviting. Children like things that make them feel involved and once she see the other students are there to greet her she will jump right in. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dellarece,
    Yes, after doing my initial research, I would immediately start off with getting an interpreter, too. If you wanted to create a "welcome to our class" sign for her in her language, I understand Google can interpret written language. I would also observe her in free play to see what her social and academic skills are. I would also check with the Director to see if she has any siblings, relatives or friends in the school. I would also try to arrange some time during snack or lunch for her to speak her native with somebody she knows. Lastly, like you, I would definitely take this as an opportunity for me and the class to learn all about her and her family. There is so much to learn about her, her culture, her family and her country. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete