Saturday, April 9, 2016


Sharing Web Resources

 


 The Website I chose to study in depth at the beginning of this course was National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER). As I explored some of the outside links I came across a website for Childcare Aware for America an institution whose vision is for every family to have access to high quality affordable child care system. They have a newsletter that readers can subscribe to as well as an annual symposium. Another outside link took me to the website “Fight Crime- Invest in Kids” is an anti-crime organization of more than 5,000 police chiefs, sheriffs, prosecutors and violence survivors.

One option that I scrutinized with more intensity this week was the recommended books. This section seemed a little simple to the eye but it gave me the opportunity to discover books that would give me information on what is happening in the area of early childhood education. The books that caught my interest and I would consider purchasing are, Teaching and Learning in Two Languages: Bilingualism and Schooling in the United States, A Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool: Presenting the Evidence, and Early Care and Education for Children in Poverty.     



As I searched NIEER’s current projects link I instantly pulled towards the link with the STEM initiatives. At the STEM lab workshops, workgroups and coaching seminars and sessions are available for educators and institutions. There were also small group activities that educators could tweak for their situations.


In the link for upcoming events I noticed a conference for early childhood educators entitled Nature at Play.


April 16, 2016 - 8:00am

Germantown Academy, in partnership with DVAEYC and the Schuylkill Valley Nature Center, is excited to present "Nature at Play,” a conference for early childhood educators.  Early childhood research reveals the critical connection between time spent in nature and a child’s developing brain. Join us as keynote speaker, Cheryl Charles from the Children & Nature Network, and local educators explore this important topic for young learners.  Participants can receive 3 hours of PQAS credit for attending this interactive workshop.  Click on the link below to learn more about the event and to register http://www.germantownacademy.net/community/nature-at-play/index.aspx

 

As I searched for information on equity and excellence in early care and education I found an event that took place a few years ago. Achieving Equity and Excellence for Each and Every Child: A Call to Action. One recurring theme that I found on the website was the issues of funding for quality early childhood education. This is an issue that must be addressed before it is too far gone and the cost for quality early childcare skyrockets even further.

 

 

Reference

National Institute for Early Education Research (2016) Retrieved from http://nieer.org/

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dellarece,

    You have found a wealth of informative data from your chosen website, National Institute for Early Education Research. I really enjoyed reading your post for this week's assignment. I will be sure to check out those links that you have shared with us. Thanks for sharing!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Dellarece. I will be sure and add NIEER to my list of resources.

    ReplyDelete