Saturday, May 21, 2016

My Ultimate Research Project

My Ultimate Research Project

                    
If I had the means and knowledge to conduct a research on any topic in the early childhood field I would research the long-term effect of technology and interactive media as tools in early childhood specifically from birth through age 8.  We are constantly hearing communications on the benefits of technology throughout different aspects of life, but I sometimes wonder if it sometimes is more of a hindrance than a benefit. Are we using too much technology too soon?  



              
I would like to compare the brain activity of children that spend time indoors with technology, versus the children who explore outdoors in nature with its natural wonder, one that is unspoiled by man. I believe my biases may have been a little exposed in that previous statement, but I would ensure that the use of triangulation is employed all processes of the research. I would have to be prepared for the unexpected in this research, allowing the results to go where I may not perceive.


  VS   

  

I believe the results of this research could foster changes in the early childhood field. I do not think the technology should be eliminated, I just feel that time spent exploring the outdoor classroom should be increased with the ideal classroom incorporating a mix of both.



4 comments:

  1. Dellarece,
    This is a really good research topic. Yes, technology is the way of the world, and children can obtain a lot of information from it. However, children should be exposed to outdoor learning and exploring as well. My son elementary school just started an agriculture program where the children visit the local farm 2-3 times a month, and the teachers conduct their lessons while there. A mixture of both learning will benefit the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your research topic! As a mom, I can see the hindrance that technology sometimes creates. My daughter is four years old and absolutely loves her iPad, however we limit her time on it so that we ensure she is taking plenty of time to interact with others and "get her hands dirty" playing and exploring outside. I have seen so many children who struggle socially because they spend more time in front of a screen than with another person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dellarece,

    This is a great research topic. As a mom, I understand the pros and cons of using technology. I feel technology is great tool for learning. However, I think our children are becoming too dependent on it. They are losing their social skills because they are constantly glued to a tablet, cellphone or television. I still think playing outdoors is a great way to learn science, etc. If we can figure out how to balance the two, it will benefit this age group in the future. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jamiliah,
    I think your research topic is very interesting and would be beneficial information for parents and teachers. Technology wires children's brains, and they loose opportunities to think, solve problems, and explore. With search engines children can just type in the subject and get answers. When reading books you have time to reflect, and retain information, and outdoors children can be creative and explore.

    ReplyDelete