Sunday, March 20, 2016

Children Learning in Nature

World Forum Radio seeks to bring an international community together to exchange ideas about early childhood education. I will share what I have learned listening to an interesting podcast by Irma Allen who is the chairperson of the Swaziland Development Authority and also a member of the Nature Action Collaborative for Children of The World Forum. Mrs. Allen shares her experience in Swaziland where a program in Early Childhood Education is based totally in the environment. I have always heard, and I believe that the environment of a classroom should be inviting and welcoming to children utilizing bright warm colors and aspects of nature. Well, this program has taken that to a whole new level with the environment for learning consisting of nature itself and all that it entails. The grass, the trees, water, if it had rained previously, the dew in the morning, and even the web of a garden spider are all used as tools and materials for the children to learn from (Allen, n.d.).

As we seek to conserve our critical natural resources, we teach our children not to be wasteful. As I listened to Mrs. Allen speak the focus of this ‘natural environment’ program made so much sense to me. We would not find it difficult to teach our communities to care for the environment if we introduced them to it as little children. If our children learned to love and respect the environment and to appreciate how one thing affected so many others in nature itself, then as adults they would likely be more concerned about conserving the environment and taking care of what we have.

As I heard about the young man who paid his respects to his former Early Learning teacher it cemented my belief that a solid foundation built in a child, will help him to grow to be a strong, well-rounded adult. The young man confirmed that the acceptance and love for learning that was cultivated in him as a young child, helped him to persevere as an adult going through adversity.  This encourages me to reach out to each of my students individually, to show them that they are loved and accepted. This foundation if built in children can help them to be successful in later life.

 I also feel empowered to cultivate in my students a love for nature and for learning. What I have heard compels me to ensure that my children experience the joy and wonder of nature and its many cycles on a first-hand basis. I feel that children should have the opportunity to get outside and feel the warmth of the sun caressing their cheeks, the texture of the grass and leaves under their feet, the tickle of a caterpillar crawling in their palm. Even as I write this it brings a smile to my face as I recall the excitement of my childhood exploring outside in my back yard.
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the podcast with Mrs. Irma Allen and reflecting on the wonders that are still to be found in nature.
References
Allen, I. (n.d.) World Radio Forum, Retrieved from http://www.viaway.com/view/1331859/world-forum-radio-irma-allen



3 comments:

  1. Dellarece,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog, as well as listening to the podcast with Ms. Irma Allen. I share the same sentiment as it relates to nature, and the intricate wonders of it.

    Consequently, this week my class we be planting seeds into clear plastic cups, so that they may witness a daily development of the growth of the seeds. The progress will be recorded in each child’s journal. Moreover, I believe this will be a great experience for the class to behold the beauty of nature.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dellarece,
    You made me smile as I imagined the happiness you felt as you reflected on your childhood explorations and the impact that the effects of exploring nature and all that it has to offer can have on the children that we encounter.
    You pointed out the idea that “If our children learned to love and respect the environment and to appreciate how one thing affected so many others in nature itself, then as adults they would likely be more concerned about conserving the environment and taking care of what we have.” I could not agree with you more. It is my belief that all too often children, and people in general, do not care for and take appreciation in the upkeep of their environment because they were not taught to respect the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to hear an authenic experience from a person from another country. Your blog is quite interesting. I love nature and can't wait to see our children busy planting vegetable seeds at our Center in April for NAEYC's The Week of the Child celebration, too. Thanks for sharing your information.

    ReplyDelete