Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My Personal Childhood Web

My Personal Childhood Web - Dellarece Hepburn

My Mother (Hazel Cleare) chose her career so she could be home with her children after school and doing the holidays. She was a strict disciplinarian, but she was also very loving. I can remember hearing my mother pray for me, calling my name. That assured me of her love for me and encouraged me to do my best so that I would not disappoint her.  Education was very important to mom, so it was a matter of fact that we would go to college and get our degrees. I am a teacher today because of her example, expectations, and her encouragement.

Mom & Dad

My Dad (Willard Cleare) was the major provider in my family. He left early in the morning to begin work, then returned home to take my mom, and us children to school. Daddy did a lot of reading and was very knowledgeable. This fostered a love for books in me. I knew he always expected me to do well in school. Daddy would challenge me to estimate how much change he had in his pocket at the end of the day, first giving just a quick glance. This kindled my love for mathematics today. I felt special whenever he would refer to me as his "pumpkin". I loved the way he showed love to my mom. This always made me feel secure in my family.



Dellarece and Marissa
My sister (Marissa Cleare-Wilson was my "boss". I looked up to and loved my sister, and was in awe of her. She took care of me. Re-c taught me how to care for others. When I was outside playing with my brothers and friends, she stayed home and took care of our sick grandmother. When our mom went away to school for a few months she cooked and cleaned for the family. She showed her love by helping to fix things that were broken when I was frustrated and could not repair them. I am now the person always helping people, and trying to solve their problems, because I watched my sister, and my mother do this over and over while I was growing up. 



Louis and Marissa

Big Brother and Sister

My brother (Louis Cleare) was and still is very adventurous. It was Louie that influenced the spirit of adventure, and the can-do attitude that I have today. I felt very special and wanted when he allowed me, a girl, to join him and my other brothers when they went 'exploring' the surrounding communities where we grew up. My brother also loved to read like my dad and influenced me to be a reader also. When we walked home from school on Fridays Louie always protected me from stray dogs, and other children that tried to bother us. I felt proud to be Louis' little sister and knew that I was safe with him. 


My cousin (Vanessa Miller) was like an older sister to me. I knew I was special to her because she took me with her many times when she traveled. Van was very smart and won many academic awards. This influenced me to work hard in school so that I could win awards also. She always went after her goals until she accomplished them. Her influence was a long-term catalyst for my applying to graduate school. I felt that I would be letting her down if I didn't continue on the path of academic achievement.


Today my family is still closely knitted together by the cords of love and mutual respect. 

I hope to pass on this love to the families of the children I have the privilege of interacting with inside my classroom.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Dellarece,
    I so badly wanted to add my mother to my childhood web but I wanted to ask the members of my web and didn't add her. My mom was diagnosed with dementia and unfortunately she is in the last stage. She stills remembers most of her children but for the most part she back in her childhood years. It is sad but we are all so grateful that she is alive and in good spirits. I have faith that she will soon have a spot in blog.

    I love how you called your sister "the boss" we all have one of those don't we. There was 7 of us growing up so we all had a chance to boss one around, and I mean all of us. My moms last 2 were twins so they even they had each other to boss around. With seven children in the household there was a lot of different characters and everyone had a different role, the clown, the serious one, the mother figure, the smarty pants, the momma's baby, you name it we had it.

    It is not until you have to do something like this that you realized how much people care about you. I asked all my sisters and my BFF the same question and I was truly amazed with their responses, they were all quite similar.

    I enjoyed this a lot, I hope you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria,
      I love your positive spirit and grateful attitude. I know you will make the most of every moment you have with your mom, and all of your family. Yes, each member of my family has different roles that they have taken on for whatever reason. Namely, boss, peacemaker, instigator, and victim, to name a few. All different roles but one common bond, love and concern for each other.

      Dellarece

      Delete
  2. Hello Dellarece,
    I so badly wanted to add my mother to my childhood web but I wanted to ask the members of my web and didn't add her. My mom was diagnosed with dementia and unfortunately she is in the last stage. She stills remembers most of her children but for the most part she back in her childhood years. It is sad but we are all so grateful that she is alive and in good spirits. I have faith that she will soon have a spot in blog.

    I love how you called your sister "the boss" we all have one of those don't we. There was 7 of us growing up so we all had a chance to boss one around, and I mean all of us. My moms last 2 were twins so they even they had each other to boss around. With seven children in the household there was a lot of different characters and everyone had a different role, the clown, the serious one, the mother figure, the smarty pants, the momma's baby, you name it we had it.

    It is not until you have to do something like this that you realized how much people care about you. I asked all my sisters and my BFF the same question and I was truly amazed with their responses, they were all quite similar.

    I enjoyed this a lot, I hope you did!

    ReplyDelete